Thank you for your interest in Raptors AA (recreational) softball! Recreational softball is a great option for newcomers to fast pitch softball, or those wishing to build basic and intermediate softball skills, at a moderate level of competition and without the rigorous demands of a competitive softball commitment.
Recreational softball is "sign and play". There are no tryouts required and all registrants (who sign up before the deadline) will be placed onto teams.
We represent the Arapahoe Youth League (AYL) in the Castle Pines, Castle Rock, and southern Douglas County territory for softball. AYL recreational softball is a fall season sport, which typically runs from July through October, with a registration period starting in April and practices starting right after the July 4th holiday. Please speak with your coach for more details about your team's practice schedule.
Our coaches are able to teach softball to all skill levels, from the newcomers who have never played ball before to seasoned veterans. We have four levels of recreational softball: 8U, 10U, 12U, and 14U. Age determination is based on the player's age as of this past December 31. League rules allow a player to play up or down by one division (subject to approval by the AYL and Raptors softball).
We are always looking for interested coaches for our teams. Please speak with Dan Pfefferkorn, director of softball operations, for more information about this tremendous opportunity to give back to your community!
Our fall 2018 softball schedule is as follows (dates are tentative and subject to change):
- April 29th: Early bird registration opens
- May 25th: Last day for early bird registration. Get registered before school ends and save some money! (Note that registration must be paid in full before the early bird deadline in order to get the early bird discount. Unpaid registrations are not considered completed registrations.)
- May 26th: Regular registration period begins
- June 30th: Registration ends (please note: unpaid registrations after this date will be moved to the waitlist and will be subject to late fees).
- July 1st through July 30: Late registration period (subject to availability of roster spots on teams). Additional fees apply at this point because of rush processing of uniforms, change requests to the AYL rosters, etc. that we incur.
- Week of July 2: rec softball teams are organized, coaches send out welcome emails and practice logistics (note: if you are part of an existing team playing AYL in the fall, this may have already taken place.)
- Week of July 9: practices begin
- Week of July 9: uniform fittings (either during practice or at Play It Again Sports; stay tuned for details)
- July 30: Late registration ends / AYL rec rosters finalized
- August 4: First AYL season games (location and timings to be announced week of Aug 1)
- September 1: Labor Day weekend (no AYL games)
- September 22-23 : AYL playoff tournament (bracket play, double-elimination)
- September 28-29: AYL playoff tournament, continued (for teams still in the tournament)
There will be a total of ten regular season games played (on Saturdays) from August through the end of September, throughout the Denver metro area. Some weekends will involve double-header games. There will also be a double-elimination playoff tournament at the end of the season for all teams (minimum of two playoff games).
Practices will generally be held twice a week in a location in the Castle Rock area (or wherever players/teams are primarily located), with a frequency and duration of practices to be determined by the head coach of each team. Typically, practices are held on weekdays in the late afternoon after school/work for 90 minutes in duration.
Please note: Registration fees must be paid at the time of registration (unless alternative arrangements have been made with the softball director), and unpaid players will be placed on the waiting list. Unpaid players will be removed from the roster at the time rosters are submitted to the league. Your registration cost includes the cost of all practice fields and games, and all players will be provided with a Raptors jersey and pair of socks. All other expenses (equipment, apparel, transportation fees, etc.) are the responsibility of the player/family. All Raptors coaches and staff members are unpaid volunteers. Registration fees are non-refundable.
For questions, please contact our Raptors Softball director, Dan Pfefferkorn, at email@example.com.